Translate

Monday 19 August 2013

Further Research

I am currently sitting in the Royal Geographical Society's library situated in Central London. This trip has inspired me to explore the world of Geography further, a quick search of "Nicaragua" in the online catalogue resulted in finding a book called "Central America on a shoestring". Flicking through the section on "History of Nicaragua", I realise the magnitude of the amount of civil wars and military coups the people of Nicaragua have faced. For example the 1975 revolution left 50,000 people dead, 150,000 homeless, and a crippled country with minimal education and healthcare. What has become clear is the level of influence America has had on the history of Nicaragua. Different presidents supported different political parties and it was that economic support, through aid, that allowed them to become politically superior in Nicaragua. President Jimmy Carter authorised US$75 million in aid to the Sandinista-led government, yet a year later Ronald Regan suspended all aid to Nicaragua and started to support the counterrevolutionary military groups know as the Contras, working in Costa Rica and Honduras. Where there is money, there is power and without funding in Nicaragua you don't stand a chance. Greed can explain the state of Nicaragua today, America and other foreign powers only acted on their own selfish needs. An example of this is when they bought the rights to build a canal across Nicaragua with no intention of doing so, just so nobody else could reach the Caribbean. Not once was there ever a discussion on improving the social mobility and structure of the nation and there didn't have to be. The country strategic positioning ending up being a disadvantage as they were never really left to their own accord until the turn of the 21st century. It is only till now that the country can focus on their problems of healthcare, poverty, education and unemployment.

The people of Nicaragua are very hard to classify, if an investigator took a leisurely stroll through the trendy and expensive shopping malls of Managua, observing the well dressed crowds then he would be forced to come to the conclusion that Nicaragua has become fully modernised and westernised. The reality is that 50% live below the poverty line with many moving to the capital or abroad for work. This has caused the traditional family structure to evolve as Nicaragua is being left with an elderly population with a significant gap missing in their population pyramid. It is common for young parents to leave their children to be brought up by relatives as they travel abroad, seeking work as a desperate means to support their family who need to pay for education and general upbringing. What Nicaragua really has going for it is its social equality, Women are generally considered equal and the disabled have exemplary rights which I have focused on in this blog. Overall Nicaraguans are proud people and vocal about their views and with the help of the new Ortega Government hopefully they will have some change to be proud and vocal about.

The amount I am missing being in Nicaragua is ridiculous, the jet lag reminds me that I am in a place I shouldn't be and that I need to return home to Nicaragua. Due to the glorious weather in London, my tan isn't as out of place as I was hoping. When people ask me how Nicaragua was, I feel pathetic answering, no words can describe my time there. Not even this blog nor the photos attached come close. I implore you to travel and do a certain level of charity work to feel the same level of self satisfaction that I have felt. Last night I managed to contact Jennifer through Facebook, a deaf teenager at the centre I was working at who goes to university. I pray that Google Translate did my message justice and that she got the gist that I missed them greatly and want to return as soon as possible. I long to see the beaming faces of the children again.

One team that I have failed to thank are the teachers that took us on the trip. Mr Murphy you succeeded, we all returned in one piece and alive. I have loved getting to know you all and form an improved, out of the classroom relationship with you all.

I believe this shall be my last post and as they are closing the RGS I think I must leave. I hope you have all enjoyed reading this, I certainly have enjoyed re-connecting with my GCSE English writing skills. I am happy that my memories shall not be forgotten and that I can always come back to this site and remember Nicaragua.

No comments: