Translate

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Last days

Tuesday was the last day for my group in our centre in Nandaime. We planned a huge party with cake, piñatas and musical chairs. Everyone was wearing their personalised t-shirts that we had made the day before. We were a true family, I felt genuine love for every single child. They were our own and we felt privileged to develop a sincere relationship with them. There was no more fake hugging and false love, this was real. Piñatas got hit, sweets fell, drinks got drunk and it was time to go. As we were saying goodbye for the day, Robertito informed me he couldn't come to the party tomorrow. I felt sick, my heart sank. I loved this child like a brother, the level of inspiration and determination he has gifted me is unimaginable. To be wheelchair bound and to have suffered through countless surgeries displayed by the scars on his head, as he has; yet still managing to maintain the highest level of independence, cleanliness and true happiness I have ever seen, is outrageous. What in the world do we have to complain about if that boy can keep a smile firmly glued to his face? I am vain, superficial and ungrateful and most of us are. If it takes a reality shock as big as this trip to change that, then so be it. A sprint into the taxi with tears clogging my eyes, a bear hug from Raph and a smile was back on my face. I had formed a relationship with a child who's future was screaming success.
Wednesday was the final farewell where both centres merged to say goodbye in Jinotepe. The mood in the house was somber; you get that dull ache in the pit of your stomach like before a rugby match. The cocktail of feelings left a sour taste in everyone's mouths. We walked in silence to the centre, everyone lost in their own thoughts. However once we arrived and saw the children's gleaming smiles, it is impossible to be sad. Unfortunately the day was tainted by endless speeches, they were touching but the children had no clue what was going on. All we wanted was a final day of play. Email addresses were exchanged and Facebook friends were formed and then it was time to say goodbye. Waves turned to hugs which turned to kisses which turned to communal crying. As quickly as it had started, it ended. Everyone from Nandaime migrated to a corner for a final goodbye, we were such a strong community. The girls; Jennifer, Cindy, Ester, Angie, Jemi and Silvia, you were awsome, always teasing and playing whilst helping us out with the young ones. Robertito, Brian and Allian you are my boys and I class you as my brothers. I also want to say a huge thank you to Raph, Holly and Anna who were so good with the kids and made my experience even better. What this trip has taught me is to be able to work as a team with people who you necessarily don't get on with. At the end of the day it's not about you but the kids and you must do whatever possible to make their experience the best. It was all up to us, us students organised everything, we had to put in the effort to make the day go smoothly, that is what made it so special and solidified us as a group.
Teary selfie 😢
For our last diner we got taken out to a hotel that had been architected beautifully. Unfortunately that was all that it had going for it. The food took 2 hours to come with the mains before to starters, many drinks didn't arrive at all and the food just passed as edible. Oh well, we still got fed and took some beautiful pictures. We were all shattered from the emotionally and physically draining day and collapsed into bed.
Today's breakfast definitely made up for last nights diner with American style pancakes with Nutella. A huge thank you to Oscar and his family for housing us and we hope you enjoy our presents. We are sitting in Managua airport waiting for the 24 hours of travelling that lays ahead. What an awesome and eye opening trip this has been and what a great group of friends I have had the privilege to share it with. The bound we have formed will stay strong for years to come.
Will try and do one more post in Miami airport or when I get back to London. Thank you all for reading and I hope you've enjoyed this blog as much as I have writing it. Speak soon xx

No comments: